Gig Worker Looking for Medical & Financial Protection? Sign up for SESSS!
The Covid-19 crisis has taught us that we need to prepare for a rainy day. Some of us, especially gig workers, made less income because of the Movement Control Order (MCO) and could have found it difficult if something like a medical emergency happened. If you work for yourself, you might not have a backup plan like people who work for companies and get company medical insurance.
But, did you know that if you’re a gig worker, you can sign up for Social Security Organisation (SOCSO/Pertubuhan Keselamatan Sosial – Perkeso)’s Self-Employment Social Security Scheme (SESSS) and get benefits if you fall sick, hurt or become disabled while working?
What is it?
If you work for an employer, by law you and your employer must contribute to Perkeso’s funds so you can get illness, injury or disablement benefits if something bad happens to you while working.
Before June 2017, self-employed workers did not have this same protection. Now, with SESSS, workers from these sectors can be covered:
- Taxi, e-hailing and bus drivers
- Transport of goods and food
- Online business
- Data processing
- Professional services
- Support services
- The arts
- Household services
- Beauty & healthcare
- Accommodation premises
How do you get covered?
To get SESSS coverage, you’ll need to pay contributions, which are like insurance premiums, to Perkeso. The amount of contributions is based on monthly income, which Perkeso has split into different levels as follows:
|Monthly Income (RM)||Monthly Contribution Payment (RM)||Yearly Contribution Payment (RM)|
You can choose your contribution plan by looking at where your monthly income falls under Perkeso’s set income levels. You can also choose to pay your contributions monthly or in one lump sum every year.
What benefits can you get?
The following are benefits you can get from the scheme:
|Temporary disablement benefit||
|Permanent disablement benefit||
|Constant attendance allowance – If you become totally and permanently disabled due to injury while working and need a certified medical worker to take care of you all the time||
|Dependant’s benefit – If you pass away due to injury while working||
Or if you have no spouse or child:
|Facilities for physical or vocational rehabilitation||
How do you sign up?
All Malaysians or permanent residents who work for themselves can sign up, at no age limit.
- Register an account at https://matrix.perkeso.gov.my/ or any Perkeso office near you.
- Register for coverage based on the sector you work in.
- You will need your IC and any relevant documents based on the type of sector.
- If you work in more than one sector, you can register for contributions and coverage for each sector you work in.
- For example, if you are an e-hailing driver and also have your own business selling furniture online, which fall under two different sectors, you can register under both sectors. But, if you get injured while e-hailing, you can only claim from your e-hailing coverage.
- Even so, if on the next day you get hurt while carrying furniture for your online business, you can still make a claim from your online business coverage.
- SESSS also covers freelancers, so even if you do not have your own company and work as an individual, you can still register with your IC and any document that proves you are carrying out work or a service. For example, this document can be a contract from your client or an order form from your customer.
- Choose your monthly or yearly contribution based on the levels of monthly income set by Perkeso.
- Pay your monthly or yearly contributions in cash at Perkeso offices or online.
How do you make a claim?
You can make a claim by sending the relevant forms and documents such as your IC, original medical certificate and police report to the Perkeso office nearest to you.
For more information on SESSS, visit this link.
While most Malaysians will rely on their employers to provide healthcare coverage for them, self-employed workers have only themselves to depend on. If you work for yourself and are looking for an affordable medical and financial protection plan, SESSS is a good place to start.
Don’t forget, you can also browse the rest of our site for topics on Planning and Budgeting, Saving and Investing, Insurance and Retirement to help understand and manage your finances!